Thursday, May 29, 2008

It's All Starting to Come Together

Last night I decided to have a go at qualifying for the Sporting Emporium €1k main event via the paddypowerpoker.com online satellite. There were 39 runners and this equated to 3 tickets and about $1000 for forth.

I decided to play fairly tight initially and see how my table was playing, trying not to get suckered into anything with marginal hands etc. Starting chips were 1500 and there were re buys available for the 1st hour. I managed to stay out of trouble and pick up a few hundred during the first few levels.

I got a temporary set back when my kicker didn't hold up to a king high board but i got right back in the game with a flopped 2-pair that held up and I was into the top 10 at the break. After the top-ups etc I started to get a bit more aggressive and my table was fairly passive so I got to add to my stack on most orbits.

There were a few boards.ie guys doing well. Rob Taylor was at my table initially but had moved and I noticed he was going strong.

My stack had grown to have me challenging - top 3 at this stage when the following happened. I got AK on the button and raised it up. UTG went all-in and UTG+1 called. I had both covered and UTG was short stacked. The flop was a blank but I bet out and UTG+1 called with his remaining chips - flop read Q26. Cards on their backs AK for both me and UTG and UTG+1 showed 35. Turn a blank and river a 4 - sick. I was now way down to 5k in chips and short stacked.

Now on a mission I started a chip accumulating spree and managed to get up to 14k without showing a hand. The final table starts with 10 and there are 4 packages - 3 seats. Rob Taylor is still alive as are a few other boards.ie guys - Eion_dubh, The Tourist and barrera.

Nothing major of note happens for a while and a few get knocked out - some via rivered gutshot draws etc. Rob finally goes in about 6th I think when his 88 run into a higher pair (QQ I think) and although he turned a straight, the river gave a higher straight to his opponent.

Another hand of note is when I get 88 in the BB and there are 2 all-ins ahead of me. I think we were down to five at this stage. I cover both but it would make a big dent if I was to lose so I fold. It turns out it was Ax versus Ax and I would have held up but I think I made the right decision.

The next few orbits I really started to raise it up - I was getting good cards and no one seemed to want to go to war. The bubble burst and we were down to 4 when I picked up AA and eoin_dubh went all in with 66. I hold up and were off to the SE on Friday.

I was really happy with my play considering I still feel a bit rusty but I never felt under pressure and was fairly comfortable. Hopefully I be able to keep up this form for the weekend.

2 comments:

smurph said...

Well Done Sir,
I won't be playing on Friday, but will be in for the Game on Saturday so hopefully you'll still be in the tournament. I didn't realise that you were a boardsie (one of the original gang aswell). Great to put a face to the name at last.

Welcome to blah blah blogville.

Smurph

Hyzepher said...

Thanks Colette - you are officially by first contributor - thanks.

Hopefully the weekend will go somewhat well and I might make the money - with a bit of luck.

Enjoy your blog btw.